Today is a big day in Inver Grove Heights and South Saint Paul, and more specifically for the school districts in these two border towns. In Inver Grove Heights, residents are voting for three school board members and two levies that will impact Independent School District 199. In South Saint Paul, residents will vote on two school funding requests.
Related: Meet the IGH school board candidates (Pioneer Press article)
If you’re heading out to vote today, why not make it a day to also check out some IGH and SSP bars and restaurants? Grab the family, friends, or neighbors, and head to lunch, happy hour or dinner, and check out these menu items at Inver Grove Heights and South Saint Paul bars and restaurants:
- The new seasonal menu at The Mississippi Pub. We recommend the fried pickles – the best in town, and for the big appetite, try The Tugboat Burger.
- Chicken from The Coop. Cool day. Hot broasted chicken. Can’t beat it. Be sure to add some crispy fries or mashed potatoes and gravy. Throw in a coney dog or cheeseburger if you’re really hungry.
- The sausage and onion pizza from Turitto’s, along with the famous Turitto’s Super Sub. As one IGH resident said, when ordering pizza from Turitto’s, it’s in the by-laws to also buy a sub sandwich. Chili also now available.
- Al’s Corral for a beer and a burger. One of five overlooked places to eat and drink in SSP.
- The Skirt Burger from B52 Burgers and Brew. The Pioneer Press recently recommended this burger in its latest list of best Twin Cities burgers, saying this about The Skirt Burger: “The skirt burger, which tops a juicy patty with jalapenos and bacon and then a slab of jack and cheddar cheese that’s allowed to run over and hit the griddle on the edges, creating a crispy “skirt” of cheese. Trust us, it’s great.”
- The Lunch or dinner buffet at Old World Pizza. The dinner buffet runs from 4-7:30 p.m. and is a great deal at $9.25 per person.
- Chili from Hometown Meats. Can’t make it out for dinner but don’t want to cook? Stop in to Hometown Meats and pick up some chili, a sub sandwich and some meat sticks. Throw in some bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers too. Or try one of their famous sub sandwiches.
- Taco Tuesday at Jersey’s Bar and Grill. You can get 3 tacos for $6.99 or all-you-can-eat tacos $11.99.
- Tacos from Asi Es Mexico. Need some Mexican food to go? Give this newer SSP restaurant a try. It’s the SSP version of Rincon Mexicano and Taqueria El Rincon. Authentic Mexican. Try the tacos and carnitas burrito. Get some chips and salsa too!
- The prawns with salt and hot pepper from A&L Chinese in Inver Grove Heights. Learn more about A&L Chinese, a true secret of the city.
Others to consider: The happy hour sushi specials at IWA Sushi, a burger from Concord Lanes Sports Bar and Grille (home to the coldest tap beer in the Twin Cities), the jalapeno poppers from Drkula’s (simple but done right), and a craft beer from Celts Pub.
As for the referendums and levies in both towns, let’s hope they both pass. People like to complain about what the two communities don’t have, but one thing we should guarantee is good schools. Running and operating a school district is expensive. It costs money (and it’s only going to cost more ), and in the long run, people will waste money on frivolous things (like eating out, right?) while complaining about the small tax increase that is needed to support our schools. Get out and vote, and vote yes in IGH and SSP, and then enjoy lunch, dinner, or drinks at an IGH or SSP restaurant. If you don’t vote – don’t complain. And if you vote no, then in our opinion, you are voting against better opportunity for our kids (the same one’s people complain have no direction on IGH and SSP neighborhood chat pages!).