Get loose at the Moose!
Sure, it’s fun and catchy to say that. But the South Saint Paul Moose Lodge 1088, located in Inver Grove Heights, is really a fun place to get loose, enjoy free time with friends, and support a great, local charitable organization. The Moose Lodge 1088 is really everything you would want from a Moose Lodge, and more.
And on Monday, November 28, Moose Lodge 1088 is celebrating the 9th anniversary of the newly built Lodge. In 2005 a fire destroyed the Lodge, but members came together to rebuild the Moose and that re-opened on November 28, 2007. There is a celebration Monday from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. at 5927 Concord Blvd E, Inver Grove Heights, MN 55076.
If you haven’t been to Moose Lodge 1088, we strongly suggest checking it out. But take note – the Moose Lodge is a member-based organization. Patrons must either be members, or come as a guest of a member.
Here are 5 fun facts about the Moose Lodge you can even bring up the next time you decide to Get Loose at the Moose:
- The first Moose Lodge 1088 was founded in 1925 in South Saint Paul. In 1960 that Lodge burned to the ground. The second Moose Lodge opened in 1961 at the current location of 5927 Concord Blvd E, Inver Grove Heights, MN 55076 – on the border of IGH and South Saint Paul.
“Moose International made the decision to keep us as South St Paul Lodge 1088 as originally Chartered in March of 1925 even though we are located in IGH,” said the legendary Tom Polzin, Administrator of Moose Lodge 1088. “In 2005 our Lodge burned to the ground again. Our current facility at the same location re-opened November 28, 2007. We are celebrating the 9th Anniversary of the opening of our new facility. For the most part we go by Moose Lodge 1088 to include all communities around us.”
- There are 4,900 men and 2,400 women who are members of the Loyal Order of the Moose, across 17 Moose Lodges in Minnesota. There are 545 members at Moose Lodge 1088 – 320 men and 225 women. Membership dues are $35 per year for women and $50 for men.
- The Moose Lodge is a family-based fraternal organization. Members range from age 21 into their 90’s. “We have a very good mix of ages at our Lodge,” said Polzin. “We are fun place to visit for the entire family. We believe in our mission that we have a purpose (mission) with fun. We are very active. We have sports leagues – darts, horseshoes, mixed couples bowling, cribbage, men’s softball, bean bag leagues, and numerous social events all year to satisfy all tastes.”
- What is the mission of the Moose Lodge? Simple: The Moose Lodge is a fraternal organization whose mission is focused to support children and seniors. Moose Lodge 1088 has a child city in Mooseheart, IL (about 40 miles west of Chicago near Aurora, IL founded in 1913) and a senior campus in Orange Park, Florida. “We are also very active in supporting local charity and non-profits as we are the heart of the community,” said Polzin. The Moose Lodge has sponsored or donated to groups such as Neighbor’s Inc Food Shelve, MN DARE program, Big Brothers Big Sisters of MN, Juvenile Diabetes Foundation, MN Military Families, Red Ribbon Foundation, Dakota County Court- Drug Offender Program, Best Foundation, American Red Cross, Salvation Army, Dakota County Sheriff K-9 Unit, Child Identification – National Child Safety Council, Cop-In-a-Box Program (tools for Law Enforcement for the arrest and identification of internet predators), and many more organizations.
- There is something for everyone at the Moose Lodge. Mondays are bingo and burger basket specials night. Wednesdays is 50 cent wing night, Thursday, $7 family style dinners are served and Friday is karaoke night, where many former Simley and South Saint Paul High School students can be found enjoying an ice cold beer or stiff drink, while performing some great, and not-so-great songs live for a fun and festive audience. The weekends are often busy with charitable events, or just open for people to stop by and have a good time with other like-minded individuals who there are for fun and the family-atmosphere the Moose Lodge 1088 provides.
“We are very proud that we have a good mix of people and age groups to satisfy all needs at our Lodge,” said Polzin. “We have a social quarters (Bar and Kitchen) that is like Cheers – everyone knows your name. We have a clean and bright facility. We are a safe and fun place to relax and enjoy. Everyone that visits to see what we are about comments on how friendly, clean, and fun it is to be here at Lodge 1088. We are a membership based organization. We are proud to be in IGH and support the surrounding communities. Friday Nights we have Karaoke from 8-11. Friday is also called Millennial Night. We have millennial age members that enjoy their style of music and fun and come down in support of the Lodge. They are our future!”
The past has been great at Moose Lodge 1088. The future looks bright too. Stop on down, support a great local organization and get loose at the Moose!