Inver Grove Heights residents are quick to complain about a lack of variety when it comes to fast food restaurants within the city. With two McDonald’s and three Subway’s, it can be frustrating for residents who get disgruntled about leaving the city to eat at places like Chipotle, Taco Bell, or Chick-fil-A, among other places.
But, what’s often overlooked is that Inver Grove Heights is home to a true fast food hamburger treasure: White Castle. Located at 4515 S Robert Trail, Inver Grove Heights, MN 55077, there isn’t a foodie from IGH who hasn’t been to White Castle. Whether it’s early morning, for lunch, or late night, ask just about anyone around town, and they will surely have a story that starts with “this one time I was at White Castle and…..fill in the blank.”
The restaurant is open 24 hours a day. And it has a long history in Inver Grove Heights. We checked in with White Castle to get some fun facts about the Inver Grove Heights restaurant, and list them below:
- The Inver Grove Heights White Castle opened on September 1, 1976.
- The Inver Grove Heights White Castle added a drive-thru on May 31, 1986. On October 25, 2002, White Castle closed the location for remodeling. Before the remodel, the IGH White Castle had two stations for ordering. It was re-opened on December 9, 2002 to the current design and layout that is still in place today.
- Contrary to popular belief, White Castle restaurants are not franchised. The company has been family-owned since it was founded in 1921.
- There is a White Castle Cravers Hall of Fame. In 2001, White Castle created the Cravers Hall of Fame, an honorary club that recognizes its most ardent fans. Bonded by unique and compelling commitments to the Crave, Cravers are encouraged to submit original stories about their relationship with White Castle, and why White Castle is meaningful to them. Every year since it was founded, legions of loyal White Castle fans from across the country have submitted personal, funny and heartfelt stories for a chance to be inducted into the Cravers Hall of Fame. The judges set criteria to evaluate each story based on the following: brand loyalty, creative presentation, originality and magnitude of the Crave. Previous winning entries have included tattoos, epic road trips, moving family traditions that have spanned generations, tributes to fallen friends, two movie stars, the former Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives and one rock legend (Alice Cooper). There was also one couple inducted into the Cravers Hall of Fame who collectively lost 200 pounds eating sliders.
Which leads us to the most important, but discouraging fun fact about Inver Grove Heights and its long, rich history with White Castle:
- There are no residents of Inver Grove Heights in the Cravers Hall of Fame, which is a national Hall of Fame with inductees from throughout the country. There are people from Eagan, Anoka, Bloomington, Elk River and other Minnesota cities in the White Castle Cravers Hall of Fame. But not one single person from Inver Grove Heights. This is a grave injustice to the many, many outstanding Cravers that live in IGH, and have given there all to dominating White Castle burgers. We need to pull together and find someone from Inver Grove Heights who has a story to tell, about how White Castle has impacted their life, and how/why they belong in the White Castle Cravers Hall of Fame.
There has to be someone, somewhere in Inver Grove Heights who stands out above the rest, and deserves consideration and induction into the White Castle Cravers Hall of Fame. Start spreading the word, and get them to share their story and submit their entry for consideration to be inducted into the White Castle Cravers Hall of Fame. Entries are closed for 2016, but check back in with the White Castle Cravers Hall of Fame to learn how you can apply for induction in 2017. For more information, read about the contest rules.
In addition to the above facts and information, here is some other general information about White Castle restaurants:
- White Castle is an industry innovator in food safety and takes this position very seriously. The family-owned company’s commitment to serving the highest quality food extends to the business owning and operating its own meat processing plants and bakeries.
- The unique griddle system is designed to properly steam-cook the Sliders to 160 degrees. Even the burger patties were designed with five holes to ensure that each one is cooked properly, especially for larger orders or at the restaurant’s busiest time of day.
- White Castle is America’s first fast food hamburger chain. The company is family-owned and is very passionate about every community it serves. Every year, White Castle raises money for Autism Speaks by selling puzzle pieces and limited edition menu items in over 390 restaurants in 12 states. In the past five years, the company has raised more than $5 million for Autism Speaks.
Go ahead, complain about the fast food restaurants Inver Grove Heights doesn’t have. We’ll take White Castle, and be happy one of the most innovative hamburger restaurants of our lifetime calls Inver Grove Heights home. But we really, really need to get someone from Inver Grove Heights inducted into the Cravers Hall of Fame.
Who will that person be?